Home Forums ActiveX components Other ActiveX components Serious problem: All data after 4Gb corrupted

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    #43092 |

Hi,

Through my employer I purchased the Xceed ActiveX suite to use the Backup v1.1 control. It seemed ideal for my purposes.

I created a backup program for my application, tested it with a few gigabytes of data, and satisfied that it worked I released it for customer use.

Now a customer has called complaining that they cannot restore their 6Gb backup. I checked and was staggered to find that Xceed Backup creates corrupted backups when the ZIP file goes over 4Gb in size.

There appears to be no archive volume splitting option, and Xceed’s control does not automatically move to a new file when the 4Gb per ZIP file limit is reached. I checked the documentation and there is no mention of this limitation. Surely Xceed knew about it? Why have a proper backup control that cannot backup more than 4Gb of compressed data?

What’s worse is that the control will happily create a 5, 10, 15+Gb ZIP with no complaints at all. Only if the archive is tested after backup does the error become apparent, with all files after the 4Gb mark being unrecoverable.

I’ll now have to quickly write a new backup program and distribute it ASAP. I hope I’ve missed something in Xceed’s Backup and there is a simple solution to my problem. Otherwise, I would like to see the rationale behind a backup component that can store less than one DVD’s worth of data.

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by Michal (had 8172 views)

User (Old forums)

Xceed Backup has not received any updates in a while and was based on Zip technology before Zip64 appeared. Zip64 is what allows zip / backup to be bigger than 4gig. We have a 60 day money back guaranty that our customers can benefit from if they are not satisfied with the product.

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by Matt (had 530 views)

User (Old forums)

[quote user=”Matt”]Xceed Backup has not received any updates in a while and was based on Zip technology before Zip64 appeared. Zip64 is what allows zip / backup to be bigger than 4gig. We have a 60 day money back guaranty that our customers can benefit from if they are not satisfied with the product.[/quote]

I am having the same issue with zip files over 4GB.

Is there a newer (better) version of Xceed Backup which allows backup/zip files bigger than 4GB?

Thanks

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by Dana (had 2961 views)

User (Old forums)

Unfortunately, the Backup library has not been upgraded to support the Zip64 format.

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by Ghislain (had 4810 views)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.